Q: I was hit by an uninsured driver. What do I do?

Posted On: February 11th, 2016

A: In New York, if you are injured by an uninsured driver, you may file a claim with the insurer of a household family relative who had an auto policy at the time of the accident.

New York drivers are required to have valid insurance upon a vehicle for it to be registered.  If the vehicle that hit you was being operated illegally and there is no one with an auto insurance policy in your household, you should file a claim with the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC). New York State has the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC) protects victims of uninsured drivers.

The fund covers bodily injury and “No Fault” claims for New York State residents when no other insurance policy is available.

Step 1:

MVAIC will establish a claim, assign a Claims Examiner and the review process will begin.

Step 2:

Confirm that all required documents are received timely and completed in full.  Please be advised that additional documents or verification may be required before eligibility can be determined.  Please respond quickly to any additional requests that MVAIC may have so your potential eligibility is not affected.

Step 3:

You will be notified of your eligibility or non-eligibility once the MVAIC review process has been completed.

MVAIC information is available at (646)205-7800, or by email at [email protected].   Article 52 sets out specific timeframes and requirements.

LaMarche Safranko Can Help

If you are are injured in a car accident while walking, jogging or riding a bicycle, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses and other losses. Skilled legal representation can help make sure you are compensated to the fullest extent possible, whether you choose to pursue a personal injury lawsuit or settle out-of-court. If you are injured in the Capital Region – in Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Clifton Park, Saratoga or elsewhere in the Capital District – please call the personal injury lawyers of Lamarche Safranko Law PLLC  for a free consultation.

Consult With An Attorney for Free

If you or a loved one have been involved in a pedestrian or bicycle accident with a motor vehicle, contact the personal injury attorneys at LaMarche Safranko Law for a free consultation, or call (518) 982-0770. We have law offices in Albany, Clifton Park, and Plattsburgh NY, and we are available to take your call 24 hours a day.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Ped Bike Law

Ped Bike Law