“We have had accidents here in the past. Pedestrian accidents. But most of those were at night, people wearing dark clothing. This is one of the first that’s in the daylight,” noted Lt. Ken Pero with the Colonie Police Department. http://wnyt.com/news/woman-killed-while-crossing-central-avenue-colonie/4147865/
After this tragic event on Central Avenue we would like to remind you of the following safety tips when crossing an intersection without a crosswalk.
- Always look left, right, and left again before crossing a street, and keep watching as you cross. Be aware that drivers have differing levels of eyesight and skill in operating motor vehicles.
- Pedestrians should be especially careful at intersections, where drivers may fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians while turning onto another street.
- Make sure you are seen:
- Make eye contact with drivers when crossing busy streets.
- Wear bright colors or reflective clothing if you are walking near traffic at night.
- Carry a flashlight when walking in the dark.
- Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. If sidewalks are not available, walk facing traffic on the edge of the road, as far from the travel lane as possible.
- Walk defensively and be ready for unexpected events. Know what’s going on around you and don’t allow your vision to be blocked by clothing, hats, or items that you are carrying.
- Watch the pedestrian signals, not the traffic signal, and follow the “WALK/DON’T WALK” lights (they’re set up to help you cross safely).
- Look for pedestrian push buttons for crossing protection at signalized intersections.
- Watch out for parked vehicles. Parking lots can be as dangerous as streets.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs as they can impair your ability to walk safely.
- When crossing, use all of your senses and don’t use your cell phone for calls and texting.
- Use particular caution when crossing driveways and alley entrances. Drivers may not expect you to be there or see you.
At LaMarche Safranko Law we want all pedestrians and drivers to be safe on the roads, and we are committed to helping those who have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence.